Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Perimeter Trail

My time in the south flew by. As John and I ran around between family, friends, and older homes, we were constantly amazed by the beauty the south was erupting with. Tennessee has had a late spring and we arrived as Spring's creatures were beginning to bud out, crawl out, and otherwise amaze us.


In Sewanee, we laid out sleeping bags at Lake Cheston one evening in a small pine tree stand by the lake. We slept warmly with our sleeping bags unzipped and woke to beautiful morning light over the water. Poking around, I came across a puddle filled with tadpoles. More tadpoles than I have ever seen in my life. Parts of the puddle were blacked out by masses of them. I hovered and tried to get a few pictures. I was surprised at how they tended to swim in masses and fruitlessly try to swim over a small ledge.


Last Friday, John and I hiked the Perimeter Trail. We began by descending into Shakerag Hollow. I was armed with two cameras, wide eyes, and a happy heart. I must admit, Shakerag Hollow is my favorite place on earth. While a student, I often retreated into Shakerag and was curious to see what had changed in the time that had passed between my visits. Spring was my favorite time to explore, but I often went throughout the year to get away from the college life for awhile, to clear my mind, and to remind myself that so much exciting and beautiful life existed outside of and unrelated to my own life. Shakerag humbled me, inspired me, and refreshed me. Starting the Perimeter Trail hike there was then dangerous as I stopped every five feet to admire, ooh and aah, and take pictures.

Usually, I gawk at flowers and insects but this time, I stumbled across something different in Shakerag. While admiring a chimpmunk, I nearly stepped on a rattlesnake. I didn't notice it until I reversed a step back on to the trail. Its movement caught my eye. It hadn't rattled and it moved slowly and sleepily but my heart was racing. It turned and looked back at me and tasted the air. All I could do was gape. Again, Shakerag humbled me. 

The rest of the hike was smooth and pleasant. It was a sunny, breezy day and I was so happy to be in the woods again.

We are back in Laramie this evening. The snow has melted and spring has arrived here, too, in a different way.






No comments:

Post a Comment